Our partners in producing Dragons Brew Coffee are Mount Elgon Coffee and Honey Co-operative, Mbale Uganda, 700 farmers working together to produce a really high quality coffee.
Director Rogers Wasibi and Steve from Dragons met at a permaculture seminar in Kampala in 2018 and again in 2020 when traveling to Mbale to to help develop a permaculture training centre in the region.
From such friendships we hope great things may develop. We both have a passion for permaculture and co-operation – so working together to market this amazing and really special coffee makes every sense. This climate sensitive equatorial region is developing ways to raise incomes, life standards and to protect and rebuild the precious environment there. In some ways it is strangely reminiscent of Wales, high rainfall, high mountains and waterfalls with lush green landscapes populated with communities of farmers.
- High mountain:1,500m – 2,350m
- Equatorial African grown
- Whole Arabica beans
- Medium roasted y experienced coffee roasted in Uganda and
- Import direct to Wales
- Handpicked, fermented and dried, inspected and graded, with love
|Whole roasted beans + souvenir post card
|Dragons shop + Selected outlets
|Whole roasted beans
by mail in flat pack
|£7.00 +£1.40 p+p
|UK postage inc
|Coffee cup + beans + postcard
|Small and Slow Solutions
|+ £5 postage
|1KG whole roasted beans by mail
|by 2nd class mail
|UK postage inc
Dragons brew is the coffee that plants trees, it literally pays its own carbon footprint and then some!Steven Jones, Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, Wales
When you drink our coffee, you plant trees and save beesRogers Wasibi, Mbale Uganda
MOUNT ELGON Coffee and Honey Co-operative
P.o. Box 158, Mbale, Plot 60, Republic Street,
Opposite Mbale Post office
- WHO ARE WE
We are a cooperative of 700 smallholder farmers integrating bee keeping in coffee farms as climate resilient and poverty alleviation approach. We work in groups of 35-50 members producing, bulking and marketing of quality coffee and honey from Mt Elgon Region in eastern Uganda covering districts of Bududa, Bulambuli, Namisindwa, Manafwa, Mbale, Sironko and Kapchorwa.
Mount Elgon coffee and honey cooperative was a project under Mbale Coalition Against Poverty which was funded by Bees For Development as response to climate change and poverty alleviation in coffee farming families experiencing climate change effects on Mount Elgon region from 2012 to 2015. The project focused on promoting beekeeping as supplementary income of coffee farmers and establishing community based trainer model through imparting skills and knowledge to model farmers who then transferred the acquired skills and knowledge to fellow members in integrating beekeeping in coffee farms after successful completion in 2016. During project exit meeting attended by government officers, Bees For Development and farmer representative resolved to form Mount. Elgon Coffee and Honey Cooperative to continue coffee and beekeeping integration as business in communities.
Vision: Transform families from surviving to thriving through integrating Beekeeping-Coffee farming.
Goal: Reach new markets, improve coffee and honey quality through enhancing, enlarging and developing innovative value chains
- Slogan: Drink Coffee, Save Bees
To promote climate smart farming practices in coffee farming households supply technical guidance
To improve production and productivity through access to affordable quality inputs and finance
To ensure collective bulking and marketing of farmers products
To diversify household income through integration of beekeeping in coffee farms and value addition for sustainable business.
- Our Activities/Services
The 80% of proceeds is invested back to farmer members through
- Mobilizing, sensitizing and trainings farmers in best agronomic practices and post-harvest handling through meetings, seminars and field demonstrations arranged in villages and at cooperative level.
- Promoting permaculture integration of coffee farming for food security, climate adaption and mitigation and increased household
- Collective bulking, value addition and marketing among our group/cooperative members.
- Establishing local and international networks relevant to farmer members to ensure sustainable and proﬁtable business opportunities.
- Financial management ( training farmer groups in small saving and lending culture to empower them in financial literacy
- Providing access to affordable quality tools and equipment farmers to improve productivity and quality
- Governance, strengthening farmer groups in leadership, democracy and accountability and transparency
- Conducting certification schemes to access competitive and sustainable markets
- Farm Washed arabica coffee: We do farm washed Arabica
- Quality Micro lots of specialty Coffee: A section of our farmers are trained to produce High quality specialty coffees.
- Roasted coffee: ground and beans
- Honey/bee wax: is providing supplementary source of income to members when coffee season is over.
- Geographical location of the members:
In 7 districts of Mbale, Bududa, Bulambuli, Sironko, Manafwa, Namisindwa and Kapchorwa on slopes of Mt Elgon region of eastern Uganda at an altitude ranging from 1500 to 2350 m.a.s.l
- Membership: Total is 1215, scaled down to 700 (male 578, female 122,youth 95 to build the capacity of farmers in both coffee and beekeeping. Further scaled down to 321 for Fairtrade organic schemes. 321 were inspected for organic certification by CERES and exploring funds to do conduct Fairtrade certification
- Volumes: yield estimate for 700 farmers is 403,1618kg (321 organic 139,547kg and the 379 conventional 297,021kg of parchment)
- Governance: Have board of 7 members who playing steering role
- Management: have 9 professional and dedicated staff and 25 community support staff.